Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome back Kohawks!

I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year! On Saturday, during new student orientation, I led a group of students to Polk Elementary School about 3 blocks away from campus. There was a map of the United States that had been painted outside on the playground that was very faded and needed to be redone. We helped to outline all the states with white paint provided by the school and the class is intending on filling in the states with color paint in a few weeks.


I am also a lunch buddy through the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization and my little was really excited about the work that we did! All the children were playing on the lines at recess and were jumping in and out of the states. My favorite part of it all was when my little and I walked outside and his eyes lit up as he said “You did this for us!?!” It’s nice to know that they really appreciate it!

After that, the group decided to walk a few blocks around the school and picked up trash along the streets. We had a contest to see who could find the best piece of trash! I am pretty sure the winner was a tennis ball which seemed to have been destroyed by a lawn mower. All in all, we had a great day! 

I wish you all the best of luck as the semester kicks off!

~Kayla~

No comments:

Post a Comment